SFI Tanzania is a sisal and forest plantation management company. Sisal and forest plantations cover a total planted area of more than 3,000 ha. On 6,000 ha of degraded and fallow land the company expands sisal plantations, afforestation and restoration of natural forest. Sisal fibre is processed and sold to international and local markets. The company employs 1,284 staff and is in the process of acquiring FSC™ certification.
Form international has been responsible a.o. for due diligence, estate acquisitions, the establishment of the company, development of tree nurseries, new plantations, estate planning, silvicultural and harvesting systems, FSC™ certification, ESIA’s, business and financial modelling, capacity building and human capital management, and improvement of existing sisal plantations, production and sales, factories and infrastructure. The company is further guided to enhance productivity, efficiency, operating margins, sustainability and to build their forestry business component. The forestry developments are supported by the Dutch Government through the PSI grant program, managed by Form international.
• 9,145 hectares of land acquired on 2 estates in the Tanga region at the end of 2013
• 3,000 hectares sisal managed commercially and 313 ha new forestry plantations established
• Species trials planted: 24 species and provenances including indigenous and exotic commercial timber species
• Sisal production increased by 25 % in 2 years
• Sisal turnover increased by 45% in 2 years
• Sustainability program introduced and FSC certification expected in 2017
• Major repairs and maintenance programme initiated on all infrastructure and equipment
• Training programme initiated for workers on nurseries, safety, health, FSC, fire management